LEO, TX (LEE COUNTY)
LEO, TEXAS (Lee County). Leo, three miles southeast of Lexington in western Lee County, grew up around a stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and was known for a time as Field's Spur, after Dr. J. A. Fields. Around 1900 the name Leo, or Leo Switch, was adopted. In 1892 the predominantly black community purchased a lot for a school a mile north of Leo Switch, but, since the site had no drinking water the school was built in 1894 at Doak Springs, three miles away. By 1907 a school was operating in St. James Church nearer Leo, but Leo residents finally built a school on the original site they had purchased in 1892. In 1918 the school was consolidated with the Biehl school and in 1951 with the Lexington Independent School District. In the 1930s Leo had the school and a number of scattered dwellings. The church continued to serve area residents in the early 1980s. The population was ten in 2000.
Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "LEO, TX (LEE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl24), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.