LEONIDAS, TEXAS. Leonidas, on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and Farm Road 2854 four miles west of Conroe in central Montgomery County, was originally a sawmill town. The mill, owned by the Trinity River Lumber Company, employed most of the residents until 1924, when it closed. Before that, the town had a hotel, a grocery store, a train depot, and a section house, in addition to segregated living quarters-one for blacks on one side of the mill and one for whites on the other side. In 1918 Leonidas had two schools, one for blacks and one for whites. In 1948 the railroad station, a church, a school, and one business were at the site. But by 1965 the school had been incorporated into the Conroe Independent School District. In the late 1970s only a few scattered dwellings remained.
Montgomery County Genealogical Society, Montgomery County History (Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rebecca L. Borjas, "LEONIDAS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl25), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.