LITTLE CHICAGO, TX
LITTLE CHICAGO, TEXAS. Little Chicago, a German farm community in northwestern DeWitt County, was established seven miles north of Yorktown about 1890, when George Langley built a store to serve local farmers and named the site after the Illinois metropolis. The only population figures available show ten residents at Little Chicago from 1933 through 1940. The locale became closely associated with nearby Greneau and was known as an athletic center, a common feature in German communities. The 1984 county highway map shows Little Chicago Community near Farm Road 108.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "LITTLE CHICAGO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl30), accessed November 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.