LOCUST, TEXAS. Locust was a farming community just off Farm Road 996 and near the Big Mineral Arm of Lake Texoma, thirteen miles northwest of Sherman in northwestern Grayson County. The community developed in the late 1880s, and in 1892 it received a post office. By 1900 Locust had a general store, a gin, a church, and an estimated thirty-five residents. In 1907 its post office closed. The population estimate for Locust in the 1940s was thirty. In 2000 a population of 118 was reported.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "LOCUST, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl34), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.