LYRA, TEXAS. Lyra was on a graded earth road north of State Highway 108 and northeast of Strawn in southern Palo Pinto County. The community was a trading post and post office by 1876. With the building of the Texas and Pacific Railway through the area in 1880, and the discovery of coal near Strawn, Lyra developed to a population of 1,000 in 1915. Lyra later declined after the closing of the Strawn mines and the opening of oilfields in other parts of the county. By 1936 the population of Lyra had decreased to 300; in 1940 the community had one store and a population of fifty. By the mid-1950s population statistics were no longer available for Lyra.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LYRA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl49), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.