LEWIS CHAPEL, TX
LEWIS CHAPEL, TEXAS. Lewis Chapel (Louis Chapel) is eight miles northeast of Jefferson and 1½ miles east of Farm Road 248 at the intersection of two country roads in northeastern Marion County. In 1938 the community had a three-room schoolhouse that accommodated 106 black elementary students and three teachers. The school was consolidated with the Jefferson schools by 1955, and in 1962 the community consisted of a church, a cemetery, and several scattered dwellings. The church and cemetery were still identified on the 1983 county highway map.
Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "LEWIS CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl77), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.