LINCOLNVILLE, TEXAS. Lincolnville was on the Leon River four miles west of Gatesville in central Coryell County. It was established by former slaves from Gatesville shortly after the end of the Civil War. The community was named for Abraham Lincoln. Early settlers included Jim and Lou Cook Mayberry, Gus Weatherly, Green and Fannie Cook Brown, and Jim and Mollie Snow. Residents organized the Bethlehem Baptist Church on April 10, 1872. In 1904 the Lincolnville school had thirteen students and one teacher. The community was not shown on county highway maps in the 1940s.
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986). Lincolnville at Moccasin Bend: Black Families on the Texas Frontier, Audio Program, Baylor University Institute for Oral History, 1987.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "LINCOLNVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl80), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.