LAWRENCE KEY, TX
LAWRENCE KEY, TEXAS. Lawrence Key (Lawrence-Key) is near Farm Road 1736 two miles east of State Highway 6 and six miles northeast of Hempstead in northern Waller County. It probably began before 1891, when J. M. and Mamie Key gave land for a church. Lawrence Key Methodist Church was still in operation in 1990. A school was started by 1905, when fifty-one black children attended a one-room facility. The school disappeared before the 1930s, but a cemetery north of the community and a few homes were still in the area in 1990. Rolling Hills Colony, a housing development two miles east of Lawrence Key, opened in 1965 and had thirty-three new homes by 1973.
Waller County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Waller County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paul M. Lucko, "LAWRENCE KEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl88), accessed November 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.