LANE COMMUNITY, TX
LANE COMMUNITY, TEXAS. Lane Community, fourteen miles northeast of Canton on State Highway 19 in north central Van Zandt County, was named for early resident Jim Lane, who donated land for a local school that he helped to build by the 1890s. The school, which served as the community center, reached an enrollment of twenty-four in 1906 but burned by 1912. It was moved and consolidated with the Edgewood Independent School District in 1943. The town had no church until the 1930s, when a revival held near the schoolhouse led to the formation of a Church of God. Later, the Methodist church from Small moved to Lane. In 1936 a church, school, and multiple dwellings marked the townsite, but by 1965 only the church remained.
Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "LANE COMMUNITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl92), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.