LEE SPRING, TX
LEE SPRING, TEXAS. Lee Spring (Lee's Spring) was on the Palestine-Tyler road 2½ miles west of Gresham and 1½ miles east of Noonday in southwestern Smith County. The road was the first public thoroughfare planned by the county commissioners' court. The settlement was founded as early as 1892, when residents organized the Lee Spring Baptist Church. In 1936 Lee Spring was the site of a church, a cemetery, a school, and a cluster of dwellings at the intersection of two dirt roads. Lee Spring elementary school had two teachers and sixty-three black students. By 1952 it had been consolidated into the Noonday Independent School District, which by 1969 had been absorbed into the Bullard Independent School District. Maps for 1973 showed a Baptist church, a cemetery, and several dwellings at the site. The following year the Baptist congregation built a new church building.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "LEE SPRING, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl97), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.