LANES CHAPEL, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
LANES CHAPEL, TEXAS (Smith County). Lanes Chapel was on Farm Road 850 near Horseshoe Lake, a mile north of Chapel Hill, just west of the Chapel Hill oilfield, and four miles east of Tyler in eastern Smith County. The Lanes Chapel Colored (now Christian) Methodist Church was established there in September 1870. The community was shown on the 1936 county highway map as Lane Church, a school, and a small collection of dwellings on a graded and drained metal-surfaced road. Around this time the Lanes Chapel School had one teacher and forty-one black elementary-level students. By 1952 the school had been consolidated into the Chapel Hill Independent School District, which in 1969 local students still attended. In 1973 the community included Lanes Chapel Church, New Zion Church, and a few scattered farms. By 1981, however, it was considered to be part of Chapel Hill and was no longer specifically identified on maps.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "LANES CHAPEL, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl98), accessed September 03, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.