LIBERTY, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
LIBERTY, TEXAS (Smith County). Liberty is on Farm Road 135 a mile south of Arp and north of Troup in southeastern Smith County. Kickapoo Creek runs through the vicinity, which is part of the Good Omen oilfield. The area was originally in the 1835 Benijah Lafferty Survey; it was accessed by the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1872 and well settled by 1903. County records for that year show two Liberty schools: a black one-teacher school with fifty-one students, and a white two-teacher school with eighty-two students. By 1936 the white school had closed, but four black teachers offered grades one through ten to 153 black students. That year Liberty also had a sawmill and a cluster of farms. By 1952 the school had been consolidated into the Troup Independent School District. The town in 1973 had Liberty Church, Liberty Cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings near Sinclair City. In 1981 Liberty was still identified on county maps.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "LIBERTY, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl99), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.