LINCOLN SPRINGS, TX
LINCOLN SPRINGS, TEXAS. Lincoln Springs, also known as Evergreen, is a small rural community just below Farm Road 271 in extreme northeastern Smith County. Evergreen was originally part of the William W. Avery survey. Little is known about early settlement, but in 1936 the community had a church, a school, two businesses, and a cluster of dwellings on both bituminous and metal-surfaced graded and drained roads. Mars Hill Church was also nearby. The school at that time was an elementary school with three teachers. By 1952 the Evergreen School had been consolidated into the Gladewater Independent School District. Evergreen had disappeared from Smith County maps by 1971, but the settlement of Lincoln Springs was located near the old site of Evergreen. It consisted of Lincoln Springs Church and a few scattered farms on Lincoln Springs Road. The Lincoln Springs community was still identified on the 1981 county highway map.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "LINCOLN SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlad), accessed July 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.