LAKE PROVIDENCE, TX
LAKE PROVIDENCE, TEXAS. Lake Providence is on Farm Road 726 seven miles southeast of Gilmer in east central Upshur County. Originally known as Lake Providence School, the community was probably settled before 1900. In the mid-1930s Lake Providence had a school, a church, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II the school and the store closed, and in the mid-1960s all that remained of the community was a church and a few widely scattered houses. In 1990 Lake Providence was a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "LAKE PROVIDENCE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlcx), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.