LONG PRAIRIE, TX
LONG PRAIRIE, TEXAS. Long Prairie, on Farm Road 309 five miles south of Kerens in southeastern Navarro County, was established before 1900. A school was in operation there by 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of thirty-seven. In the mid-1930s the small community comprised two churches, a cemetery, and a number of houses. The school was consolidated with the Round Prairie school and subsequently with that of Kerens. By the mid-1960s only a church and cemetery and a few widely scattered houses remained at the site. In the early 1990s Long Prairie was a dispersed rural community for which no population estimates were available.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "LONG PRAIRIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlff), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.