LAS YESCAS, TX
LAS YESCAS, TEXAS. Las Yescas is a colonia at the junction of Farm roads 106 and 803, five miles east of Rio Hondo in northeast Cameron County. It had a post office in 1915–16. In 1948 it had a school, a cemetery, several farms, and some dwellings. In 1976 Las Yescas had an estimated population of 237 and no public water system. By 1986 the community covered seventeen acres and received its water from the East Rio Hondo Water District. That same year it had an estimated population of 180 and forty dwellings. The settlement probably derives its name from that of the Yescas Ranch; yescas is Spanish for "tinder." The population was 221 in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "LAS YESCAS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlrr), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.