LIBBY, TEXAS. Libby, on Farm Road 1878 fourteen miles northeast of Nacogdoches in northeastern Nacogdoches County, was first settled around the time of the Civil War. During the 1880s the settlement was known as Freeman's Store, after Malcom Smith Freeman, who operated a general store there. When a post office was established in 1892, the town name was changed to Libby. In 1896 the community had a Christian church, a flour mill and cotton gin, a store, and a few houses. Its post office closed in 1906. A school was in operation there in 1908, when it had an enrollment of fifty-two. After World War II the school and store closed, and many of the residents moved out of the area. In the early 1990s only a church, a cemetery, and a few houses remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "LIBBY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrlvt), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.