MABRY, TEXAS. Mabry, four miles west of Clarksville in Red River County, was founded in 1854 by the William L. Mabry family, the first settlers in the area. At the townsite Mabry built a horse-powered cotton gin and a steam gristmill and thresher and later, with Capt. Will Van Dyke, the town's first steam cotton gin. By 1900 several businesses and three dairies operated in Mabry. A Mabry post office operated from 1902 to 1906. The town had two churches by 1900; the Christian church dedicated in 1902 operated until 1912. The first school was built in 1870 and was consolidated with the Clarksville Independent School District in 1945. The 1967 the population of Mabry was estimated at seventy-five. In 1990 the residents of Mabry raised cattle or worked in nearby towns. The population was estimated at sixty. The population remained the same in 2000.
Red River Recollections (Clarksville, Texas: Red River County Historical Society, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MABRY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm01), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.