MAJORS, TEXAS. Majors is near the junction of Farm roads 3122 and 115 six miles south of Mount Vernon in southern Franklin County. When the post office was established there in 1899 with Benjamin Majors as postmaster, the settlement was named Majors in honor of J. H. Majors, a Mount Vernon banker. The office was discontinued in 1906. During the 1930s the community had two churches, two stores, a school, and scattered residences. The population was estimated as twenty from the 1930s through the 1960s. A highway map for 1985 indicated that a sawmill was in operation near the community. In 2000 the population was thirteen.
Wright Patman, History of Post Offices-First Congressional District of Texas (Texarkana, Texas, 1946?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "MAJORS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm07), accessed April 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.