MALLARD, TEXAS. Mallard is on Farm Road 455 five miles southeast of Montague in southeastern Montague County. It was named for A. M. Mallard, a rancher who established his headquarters near the present townsite. Mallard received a post office in 1892, which served the community until 1915. By the mid-1930s the town had 115 persons and one business. No doubt affected by such events as the agricultural depression of the 1920s and 1930s, the Great Depression, and the dislocations caused by World War II, Mallard's population fell by the late 1940s to fifty, a number reported consistently throughout the following decade. The most recent population statistics, those for 1967, indicate that twenty persons lived in Mallard at that time. By 2000 the population was listed as twelve.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "MALLARD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm08), accessed September 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.