MARLOW, TX (MILAM COUNTY)
MARLOW, TEXAS (Milam County). Marlow is near the Little River, a mile north of Farm Road 2095, and three miles east of Cameron in central Milam County. According to local sources the community was called Devils Bend in the 1880s because of the gambling that took place there. The name was changed to Marlow after Ben Marlow gave land for a cemetery, a Baptist church, and a school. In 1903 the community had a two-teacher school for seventy-two white students and a one-teacher school for fifty-seven black students. The Marlow schools had been consolidated with the Cameron district by the early 1930s. A church, a business, and several houses were shown at Marlow on the 1941 county highway map. Forty-five residents were reported there in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage and Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "MARLOW, TX (MILAM COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm14), accessed July 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.