MASSEY, TEXAS. Massey was on a spur off Farm Road 1242, ten miles south of Hillsboro in south central Hill County. Settlement of the site probably occurred in the late 1870s, when the community was called Bell Springs. In 1881 a post office branch opened and was named Massey. By 1900 the community had just over 100 residents, served by four businesses, four churches, and a school with two teachers and 105 students. The post office closed in 1903. The population was estimated as more than 100 until around the mid-1940s, when it dropped to sixty; in 1947 the community reported two businesses. In the early 1980s some homes remained at the site, and the Bell Springs cemetery was maintained.
Hill County Historical Commission, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853–1980 (Waco: Texian, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "MASSEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm20), accessed February 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.