MCGIRK, TEXAS. McGirk, in western Hamilton County, is a ghost town now. It was established in the early 1870s. A post office opened in 1882 with John A. McGirk as postmaster. A steam cotton gin operated on the Lampasas River for some years after 1892. The post office closed in 1920, but the local school district survived until around 1936. In 1945 the community reported an estimated population of twenty-five. By 2000 the population was listed as nine.
Hamilton County Historical Commission, A History of Hamilton County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MCGIRK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm27), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.