MERCER'S GAP, TX
MERCER'S GAP, TEXAS. Mercer's Gap is ten miles southwest of Comanche in southwestern Comanche County. It was named for Jesse Mercer, who settled in the county in 1848. A post office operated there from 1870 or 1871 until 1908. In 1890 Mercer's Gap had a population of twenty, two churches, and a school. In 1930 its population was reported at sixty-five. The community had a cemetery and widely scattered houses in 1988.
Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MERCER'S GAP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm33), accessed May 22, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.