MIMS, TEXAS. Mims is on the west bank of the San Bernard River near the Sportsman Span bridge sixteen miles southwest of Angleton in southwestern Brazoria County. The townsite was originally part of the Fannin-Mims Plantation and is named for Joseph Mims. In 1896 the local school had one teacher and ninety-five black pupils, and in 1936 Mims had the school, a church, and several buildings. In 1988 the Zion Temple, a cemetery, a grain elevator, and several buildings remained at the site.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "MIMS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm45), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.