MOUNT SHARP, TX
MOUNT SHARP, TEXAS. Mount Sharp, on Onion Creek twenty miles northwest of San Marcos in western Hays County, was founded shortly after the Civil War by the L. S. Jennings family. Originally a part of Yell Settlement, it opened a separate post office in 1905 that apparently remained open until after World War II. Although no population figures have ever been recorded for the community, thirteen livestock breeders were reported as operating in the Mount Sharp area in 1914. The community is named after the nearby Mount Sharp.
Dudley Richard Dobie, A Brief History of Hays County and San Marcos, Texas (San Marcos, 1948). Tula Townsend Wyatt, Historical Markers in Hays County (San Marcos, Texas: Hays County Historical Commission, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Daniel P. Greene, "MOUNT SHARP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm56), accessed March 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.