MUNGER, TEXAS. Munger is on State Highway 171 six miles north of Coolidge in northern Limestone County. It may have once been called Condor, as the area post office was named Condor in 1899. In 1905 either the name was changed to Munger or the Condor post office closed at the time Munger was opening a post office. There is a dispute over whether the two were on the same site or two miles apart. The area was settled in 1899, when George Johnson opened a store and become the first postmaster. In 1902 the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway crossed the farms of Henry Martin Munger and chose a station site on his property, which became the town of Munger. In 1905 a post office was established with William H. Ellington as postmaster. That same year there was a blacksmith shop, and a general store opened. By 1914–15 the population was thirty, and a cotton gin and another general store had opened. The railroad became part of the Burlington and Rock Island system but was abandoned in the 1930s. Sometime after 1930 the post office closed. In 1948 Munger had two churches, a school, and scattered dwellings. Only ten persons lived there in 1967, after which no population figures were available. The school was consolidated into the Coolidge Independent School District in 1968.
Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephanie A. Panus, "MUNGER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm62), accessed June 20, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.