MUSTANG, TX (DENTON COUNTY)
MUSTANG, TEXAS (Denton County). Mustang is at the intersection of Mustang Road and Farm Road 1385, between Pecan and Mustang creeks, six miles southeast of Pilot Point and fifteen miles northeast of Denton in northeastern Denton County. The community, located on the original land grant of Isaac Walters, was named for nearby Mustang Creek, which in turn was named either for the Mustang grapes that grew along its banks or for the wild ponies (see MUSTANGS) that were in the area as late as the 1850s. Mustang was established in 1858 and from 1876 to 1907 had a post office. By 1890 it received mail semiweekly and reported a population of seventy-five, a union church, a district school, a general store, and a steam cotton gin and gristmill owned by the Farmers' Alliance. Mustang had its own school district in the 1930s, with twenty-five pupils and two teachers. In 1940 the community reported fifty residents and two businesses, and in 1951 it had a store, filling station, and an icehouse. By 1964 Mustang had two churches, a business, and a town hall. The 1984 county highway map showed two churches and a town hall at Mustang.
Emily Fowler, Towns and Communities of Denton County, Texas (MS, Denton Public Library, Denton, Texas, 1956).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "MUSTANG, TX (DENTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm64), accessed September 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.