MERRICK, TEXAS. Merrick, twenty miles north of Stanton in central Martin County, was named for Griffin and Rhoda Merrick, two early settlers. Its first school opened in 1925 with Mrs. Arbie Tunnell as teacher. In 1931 Merrick became an independent school district, but in the 1940s the school was consolidated with the Flower Grove school. G. Tunnell organized a union Sunday school in 1927. By the late 1930s the town had the West Noble Bible Tabernacle, a portable gin, and a small store. The 1984–85 Texas Almanac gives no population figure for Merrick.
Martin County Historical Commission, Martin County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "MERRICK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm66), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.