MACEDONIA, TX (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)
MACEDONIA, TEXAS (Williamson County). Macedonia was on Opossum Creek and Farm Road 971, 2½ miles southwest of Granger in northeast Williamson County.A church was built on Opossum Creek in 1855 near the site of the community and had a congregation of thirteen families. The population of Macedonia was augmented in the 1870s by the arrival of German-Wendish settlers. The town was a polling place for the local option vote in 1878 (see PROHIBITION), and camp meetings were held on the banks of nearby Opossum Creek.By 1885 Macedonia was a thriving community with Baptist and Methodist churches, a cotton gin, a school, a cooperative store called the Grange, and a Masonic lodge. However, the town declined rapidly after it was bypassed by the Katy Railroad, and nearby Granger, which grew up around a railway station after 1884, soon eclipsed Macedonia. The Masonic lodge was moved to Granger in the mid-1880s; the store and, somewhat later, the churches and the gin followed. Macedonia's school still had ninety-nine pupils in 1900 but gradually declined thereafter until it was consolidated with the Palacky school in 1949. In 1988 all that remained at Macedonia was a cemetery.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "MACEDONIA, TX (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm75), accessed August 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.