MOAB, TEXAS. Moab is ten miles southwest of Lexington off Farm Road 1624 in Lee County. There are indications that the area around Moab was well-populated before the Civil War. A school opened by 1900. In the mid-1930s the settlement had the school, two churches, a cemetery, a post office, and a number of scattered dwellings. By the early 1950s the school had become the Moab Common School District, and in 1966 it was consolidated with the Lexington schools. Only a church and two cemeteries remained in the predominantly black community in the early 1980s. In 2000 county maps still listed the community and showed two cemeteries, but no population estimates were available.
Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MOAB, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmad), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.