MIDWAY, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
MIDWAY, TEXAS (Smith County). Midway is on State Highway 155 and Butler Creek just south of Tyler in central Smith County. By 1903 Midway had two schools: one with one teacher and sixty-three white pupils, and the other with two teachers and ninety-seven black pupils. In 1936 only the white school remained open, with twenty-six students and one teacher; the 108 black children were not enrolled. Though the 1936 county highway map did not name the settlement, the map showed a church, a cemetery, and a cluster of dwellings at the site. By 1952 the community school had been consolidated into the Rice Independent School District. In 1966 Midway consisted of the church, the cemetery, and a cluster of houses. Little had changed by 1973, but the 1981 county highway map showed twenty-five businesses and another church, as well as two newly developed residential areas.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "MIDWAY, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrman), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.