MICHELI, TEXAS. Micheli (Michili) was on the Angelina River nine miles north of Lufkin in northern Angelina County. Around 1900 the Tyler-Car Lumber Company built a mill, a school, several churches, and houses for workers at the site, which it named for Vincente Micheli, the original grantee of the land. The mill, which had a daily capacity of 90,000 board feet, was one of the few mills to use the Angelina for floating logs. By 1905 the settlement had a reported population of 1,000. The lumber venture, however, proved to be unprofitable, and in 1906 the mill went into the hands of a receiver and was closed a few months later. Most of the millworkers and families moved away, and by the 1920s Micheli had been abandoned.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MICHELI, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmez), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.