MOUNT ZION, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
MOUNT ZION, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Mount Zion, a rural community on State Highway 11 fifteen miles northwest of Sulphur Springs in northwestern Hopkins County, was settled before 1898, when it had two schools, one with fifty-six white students and one with nineteen black. During the mid-1930s Mount Zion had a school, a cemetery, three churches, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II most of its residents moved away. The schools were consolidated with the Cumby school district, and by the early 1960s all that remained of the community was a church and a cemetery. During the late 1980s Mount Zion was a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MOUNT ZION, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmgh), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.