MOUNT GILEAD, TX (UPSHUR COUNTY)
MOUNT GILEAD, TEXAS (Upshur County). Mount Gilead was eight miles northwest of Gilmer on Farm Road 852 just west of Enon in western Upshur County. The community was probably settled sometime before 1900. In the mid-1930s it had a church, a school, and number of houses. After World War II the church was disbanded, and the school was consolidated with the Rosewood school. By the mid-1960s Mount Gilead had been abandoned.
Doyal T. Loyd, A History of Upshur County (Gilmer, Texas: Gilmer Mirror, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MOUNT GILEAD, TX (UPSHUR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmhs), accessed December 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.