MIMS CHAPEL, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
MIMS CHAPEL, TEXAS (Panola County). Mims Chapel, also known as Mims, fifteen miles northeast of Carthage off Farm Road 1186 in northeastern Panola County, was probably first settled after the Civil War and grew up around a church of the same name. A school, known as Mims, was in operation by the 1890s, and in 1897 it had an enrollment of seventeen black students. In the mid-1930s Mims Chapel had two churches and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Mims Chapel was a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MIMS CHAPEL, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmlz), accessed March 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.