MOSSY, TEXAS. Mossy was on the east end of Mossy Creek nine miles northeast of Groveton in north central Trinity County. The area was first settled around the time of the Civil War by the Ashworth family and was originally known as Ashworth Settlement. When a school was established in 1898 the name was changed to Mossy Creek and later Mossy. The school was closed prior to World War II, and during the 1950s and 1960s most of the residents moved away. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained. Descendants of the original Ashworth family still live in the area.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MOSSY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmqa), accessed December 05, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.