MYRTLE SPRINGS, TX (CHEROKEE COUNTY)
MYRTLE SPRINGS, TEXAS (Cherokee County). Myrtle Springs was off Farm Road 2274 ten miles northeast of Rusk in eastern Cherokee County. The area was probably settled around the time of the Civil War. Community life centered around a church named for a nearby spring. A local school was in operation by 1896, when it had an enrollment of twenty-one. The school was later closed, and in the mid-1930s only a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained. After World War II several of the few residents left the area. By the late twentieth century a church and a cemetery remained in the area. Myrtle Springs Cemetery received a Texas Historical Marker in 1986. No population estimates were available in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MYRTLE SPRINGS, TX (CHEROKEE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmsk), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.