MAYER, TEXAS. Mayer was eighteen miles southeast of Eldorado in southeastern Schleicher County. A post office, named for Sol Mayer, an early settler, was established there in June 1904, and the mail was delivered twice weekly on a route from Sonora in neighboring Sutton County. James Champie was postmaster. In 1914 Mayer had a general store and a population of 190; stock raising was the primary occupation of area residents. The post office was discontinued in May 1918. The community name was applied to two common school districts in eastern Schleicher County until 1947, when they were grouped with several other schools to form the Schleicher County Rural High School District. Mayer was not shown on county highway maps in the 1940s.
Roy D. Holt, ed., Schleicher County, or Eighty Years of Development in Southwest Texas (Eldorado, Texas: Eldorado Success, 1930).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "MAYER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmwb), accessed December 13, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.