MAHALA, TEXAS. Mahala was near the intersection of Farm roads 799 and 1203 six miles southeast of George West in east central Live Oak County. It was named for Mahala Edwards, who opened a store in the early 1900s with her husband, Charles Edwards, on their land on the old road between Oakville and Cadiz (now Farm Road 1203). In 1911 Mahala was granted a post office, and by 1914 a community school had been established. Mahala lost its post office in 1912, and a map drawn in the 1930s shows only the school and a few scattered dwellings in the vicinity. The community's school was annexed to the George West Independent School District in 1945; a 1964 map showed nothing standing on the site.
Ervin L. Sparkman, The People's History of Live Oak County (Mesquite, Texas, 1981). Edwin Herbert Stendebach, An Administrative Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Schools in Live Oak County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John Leffler, "MAHALA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmwv), accessed October 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.