MISSION GROVE, TX
MISSION GROVE, TEXAS. Mission Grove was three miles south of River Hill on the road to Deadwood in eastern Panola County. It was centered around a school established prior to 1897, when one teacher taught seventeen students. In 1913 a second teacher was added, and the school was reclassified as a two-year high school. In the mid-1920s the Mission Grove community had the school and a number of houses; a church and cemetery were located nearby. In the 1930s the school was destroyed by fire, and it was never rebuilt. Students were sent to Midyett and Deberry. During the 1940s Mission Grove was included in the Carthage school district. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses still remained in the area.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MISSION GROVE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrmyz), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.