NEUT, TEXAS. Neut (Newt) is a tiny rural community on Farm Road 79 two miles below the Red River and twenty-two miles northeast of Bonham in extreme northeastern Fannin County. Neut was the name given "for a short while" during the early 1900s to the Goss plantation near the community of Monkstown. The settlement consisted of tenant farmers and workers who operated such plantation facilities as a cotton gin and a commissary. Neut had a post office from 1901 to 1907. The community reported one business and a population of twenty-five during the 1930s and 1940s. Though no population statistics were reported after 1948, the community was still shown on county maps in the late 1980s.
Floy Crandall Hodge, A History of Fannin County (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "NEUT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrn06), accessed November 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.