NICKEL, TEXAS. Nickel (Nickle) is a rural community on Ranch Road 532 twelve miles northeast of the town of Gonzales in northeastern Gonzales County. It had acquired a post office by 1886, and in 1890 it had triweekly mail delivery, a gristmill, a gin, a general store, a winemaker, and a population of twenty-five. By 1896 mail was delivered daily. The community had been reduced to one business and ten citizens by 1933. By the mid-1940s its population had grown to twenty-five, but after 1948 no further population figures were available. Nickel was still identified on the 1988 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "NICKEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrn20), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.