NEW HOME, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
NEW HOME, TEXAS (Smith County). New Home, also known as New Hope, was a mile north of the junction of Farm roads 16 and 271 and four miles northwest of Starrville in northwestern Smith County. Though county records for 1903 show no school in the area, by 1936 there were two: New Hope School, with two elementary teachers for its white students, and New Home School, also with two elementary teachers, for forty-one black students. At this time the community also had a church, a business, and some scattered farms. By 1952 both schools had been absorbed by a Gregg County district, and in 1960 only New Hope Church and a few scattered homes remained. The community had a church and two dwellings in 1973, but it was not shown on the 1981 county highway map.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "NEW HOME, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrn41), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.