NEW SALEM, TX (FALLS COUNTY)
NEW SALEM, TEXAS (Falls County). New Salem is a small rural community on Farm Road 431 three miles northeast of Travis in southern Falls County. A Baptist church called Eldorado was established there in June 1887; its name was later changed to New Salem. In 1904 the New Salem school had eighty students and two teachers. The district was divided between the Rosebud and Lott independent school districts in 1949. The school, a church, and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the late 1940s, but by the 1980s only the church was shown on county maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "NEW SALEM, TX (FALLS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrnse), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.