OGBURN, TEXAS. Ogburn, also known as Jim Hogg, is just off Farm Road 2088 and fifteen miles east of Quitman in eastern Wood County. In 1897 the W. G. Ragley Lumber Company of Winnsboro built a tramline through the area to carry logs; this line later became part of the Texas Southern Railway. In 1900 J. W. Ogburn, for whom the community was named, was operating a sawmill called Jim Hogg on the rail line, and some sources report that a community called Jim Hogg grew up around the mill at that time. In 1908 this community was said to have moved a short distance and become the settlement of Ogburn. By that same year J. W. Ogburn had planted 550 acres with Elberta peach trees, and the next year the Ogburn community received a post office. By 1914 the town had a population of 100, a telephone connection, and one business, the Ogburn Orchard Company. Ogburn declined after the fruit orchards deteriorated, and by 1923 its post office had closed. In 1932 the Ogburn school district reported an enrollment of forty-seven white students in eight grades. From 1939 to 1947 the community population was reported at twenty, served by one business; after that time no population figures were available. By the late 1940s the school was gone, and Ogburn had only a few scattered dwellings. By 1960 only one inhabited dwelling remained at the site. In 2000 the population was ten.
W. Cleo Irons, The Reorganization of the Public Schools of Wood County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1935). Timothy K. Perttula et al., `This Everlasting Sand Bed': Cultural Resources Investigations at the Texas Big Sandy Project (Austin: Prewitt and Associates, 1986). Adele W. Vickery, A Transcript of Centennial Edition, 1850–1950, Wood County Democrat (Mineola, Texas, 1974). Wood County, 1850–1900 (Quitman, Texas: Wood County Historical Society, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "OGBURN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hro12), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.