Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

OKLAHOMA LANE, TX

OKLAHOMA LANE, TEXAS. Oklahoma Lane is six miles east of Farwell in southwestern Parmer County. The site was part of the XIT Ranch before the community began in January 1916, when Ed McGuire, John Scribner, T. Hooser, and the brothers Jim and Joe Johnson each purchased choice acreage from the Capitol Syndicate and brought in their families from their native Oklahoma. Others soon followed, and in 1917 two rural schools, Sunnyside and Knox, were established in the vicinity. The first annual community Christmas tree celebration was held at Knox School in December 1917. In 1921 the two schools were consolidated as the Oklahoma Lane district, and a new brick building was built. During the 1920s two churches were established and the school facilities were expanded. A school supply and candy store was opened across the street from the complex, which included a combination auditorium-gymnasium. In 1949, however, the school district was partitioned among the Lazbuddie, Farwell, and Bovina schools. The gym was used as a recreation center for several years. In 1986 the two churches and a community center made up the nucleus of Oklahoma Lane, which in 1980 and 1990 reported a population of sixty-four. At that time farming and ranching were the major activities of the area. In recent years the community has become noted as the boyhood home of former National Football League placekicker Mac Percival. By 2000 the population was twenty-five.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Parmer County Historical Commission, Prairie Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1981). Parmer County Historical Society, A History of Parmer County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).

H. Allen Anderson

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

H. Allen Anderson, "OKLAHOMA LANE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hro27), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.