OAKLAND, TX (BRAZORIA COUNTY)
OAKLAND, TEXAS (Brazoria County). Oakland is one mile west of Freeport and one mile north of State Highway 36 in south central Brazoria County. Oakland was the name of the plantation of Henry William Munson, who came to the county in 1828 and purchased land from Stephen F. Austin. The cotton and sugar plantation, located on Gulf Prairie less than a mile west of the Brazos River, continued to operate after Munson died in 1833. State highway maps of 1936 showed a church and school at the site, but in 1974 only St. Joseph Church, an adjacent cemetery, and scattered dwellings remained.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "OAKLAND, TX (BRAZORIA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrobn), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.