OAK FLAT, TX
OAK FLAT, TEXAS. Oak Flat, on State Highway 204 thirteen miles northwest of Nacogdoches in northwestern Nacogdoches County, was founded around 1900 when the Texas and New Orleans Railroad was built through the area. A school for black children was in operation there by 1904, when it had an enrollment of ninety-three. In the mid-1930s Oak Flat had a church and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, and in the early 1990s only a cemetery and a few scattered houses remained in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "OAK FLAT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hroqy), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.