OPHELIA, TEXAS. Ophelia was a small rural community seven miles northeast of Lockhart in northern Caldwell County. A post office operated from 1880 until 1891, when mail was sent to Lockhart. By 1884 the community had two churches, a school, two steam gristmills and cotton gins, and thirty-five residents. Ophelia was not marked on county highway maps in the 1940s, and no population estimates were available.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "OPHELIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hroxx), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.